THE SECRETLY AFFILIATES CELEBRATE 25 YEARS BY COMMITTING TO MINIMIZE SECRETLY’S IMPACT ON THE CLIMATE.
In honor of our 25th anniversary, we’ve developed a phased approach for zeroing out our negative
climate impact on or before our 30th anniversary in 2026. Here’s how we’ll do it:
- In 2019, we created 150 metric tons of heating-trap greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions from our buildings and company vehicle. We zeroed out the impact of these GHG emissions with high-quality, 3rd-party certified carbon offsets.
- In 2020, our carbon footprint was lowered by 22% to 116 metric tons of GHG emissions. This drop is due to a combination of new solar panels at our main office and employees working from home during the COVID-19 pandemic. We balanced out the remaining emissions with carbon offsets.
- In 2021, we are updating our accounting systems to measure GHG emissions from business travel and our employee’s commutes.
- In 2022, we plan to add in GHG emissions from our supply chain and waste.
- By 2026, we will annually measure and offset 100% of our GHG emissions plus offset 5x our 2019 GHG emissions to symbolically account for our unaccounted-for historical emissions.
This plan builds on our early efforts to lower our carbon footprint by:
- minimizing product packaging (eliminating most plastic jewel cases on Secretly Group releases 2009)
- operating strict pressing rules to avoid overstocks of CDs and vinyl
- recycling unsold formats / packaging
- installing a solar array at our main office
Moving forward, we commit to further slash our carbon emissions by:
- investing in energy efficiency throughout our buildings
- assessing opportunities to replace natural gas equipment with electric options
- measuring and reducing our scope 3 emissions
- switching to 100% renewable energy
- being a founder investor and user in IMPALA’s bespoke Carbon Calculator for the music industry
For emissions that we cannot directly reduce, we will continue to purchase rigorously selected carbon
offsets via Native. We are committed to be a positive force for change in the face of climate change, and
hope that our action will inspire others. Join us!
The Secretly affiliates include Secretly Distribution, Secretly Group (Secretly Publishing and the labels Dead Oceans,
Jagjaguwar, Saddest Factory Records, Secretly Canadian), Ghostly International, The Numero Group and 37d03d.